There are two categories of work when providing new electrical utility connections:
• Non-contestable work – work that can only be undertaken by the host Distribution Network Operator (DNO). For example, there are certain types of reinforcement works that can affect the day-to-day operation of DNO networks. Due to the sensitivity and potential impact of these works, the DNO will only complete these works themselves.
• Contestable work – may be undertaken by a suitably accredited Independent Connections Provider (ICP). Contestable works include the installation of cables, substations and other plant associated with the new connection.
Contestable works have emerged in response to the introduction of competition into the UK electrical distribution network. The benefits of using Energetics to complete contestable works include faster delivery, flexibility and cost-effectiveness, giving you more choice and greater control over your new connection process. Energetics project manages both the contestable and non-contestable elements of a new connection to provide a complete connection solution.
What are contestable works?
Below is a brief summary of which works are categorised as contestable and non-contestable:
- Electrical Design of Distribution Networks
- Project Management
- Cable Laying
- Cable Jointing
- Substation Installation
- Civil Works, including site preparation, excavation
- Certain elements of existing network diversions
- In some cases final connection to the existing distribution network.
For a no-obligation proposal and outline design
email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 03300 587 400.
- Processing the ‘Non-Contestable’ application
- Determining the Point of Connection*
- Design approval of the network*
- Inspection of the ‘Contestable’ works during construction*
- Disconnection and removal of existing supplies*
- Network Reinforcement*
- Administration costs associated with network adoption
- Obtaining statutory wayleaves
- For larger HV* and EHV jobs, the final testing and connection to the electricity network.
* Due to the continued evolution of the competition in connections market in the UK, Energetics are now able to carry out the majority of these elements of works.